Saturday, July 01, 2006

The 5 pound haircut - you get what you pay for.

So after weeks of hearing nothing from anyone on the job front all of a sudden I have 3 interviews in the coming week. Given that the "unkempt bum" look is fine for wooing potential employers with my "demonstrated written communication skills" and my oh so smooth phone manner but not so great in face to face interviews, I decided to get a haircut.

Thinking we'd stumbled onto a good thing Margie and I headed on down to a place advertising all its haircuts (for both men and women) to be had at the low low price of 5 pounds. It seems that for 5 pounds, you get a hairdresser who has only bothered to learn one type of haircut and figures it pretty much works for all people, and that regardless of what they say they want, they actually want that one haircut. For my hairdresser that one haircut was the good ol' short back and sides - the conversation with him went something like this:

Him: How would you like your hair cut (ingeniously making it seem like I had a choice)
Me: Don't take too much off it- I'm looking for something funky and young yet professional.
Him: Ok - I think maybe short back and sides.
Me: Ummmm, no I really don't want too much taken off. And I'd like it to look kind funky too (just in case he hadn't heard me the first time)
Him: Oh no, how can it be funky and professional? I definitely think short back and sides.
Me (thinking it best not to pressure a person about to cut my hair into executing a type of haircut they've never performed before) : Uh, sure, work your magic.

I think we can all guess at the result - a hair cut worth all of about 5 pounds. Margie didn't fair to much better customer service wise. She didn't end up with a short back and sides (although I must admit I'm finding it hard not to laugh just thinking about Margie with short back and sides), but was a little taken a back at the abrupt manner in which her hair cut was determined to be complete. Having wetted her hair to defrizz it, then cut it, the hair dresser just left and went "There's a towel over there if you want to dry your hair."

And just to rub it in, when we got home, our flatmate (who had just had his hair cut that day too) informed us that students at the Toni and Guy Academy do haircuts for free under the supervision of 7th dan hair cutting masters. At least one person in our apartment ended up with funky yet professional hair - if only it was the one with the job interviews this week.

Ok- I think that's enough excessive whining about something of mild inconvenience.

1 Comments:

Blogger earthkissed said...

The funny thing is, you only get what you want if you go middle ground price, if you go expensive, they also don't listen to you and just do what they want to.

7:07 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home