Friday, February 20, 2009

News flash: belly dominates northern hemisphere

The last couple of months I've had an amazing number of people tell me how big I am and express surprise that I wasn't due to pop within minutes. I'm not really particularly offended, but it does surprise me that people seem to think that kind of comment is ok just because I'm pregnant. And they're not necessarily all that careful with their words, either - a certain redhead might have learnt recently that 'big' and 'fat' are not at all the same thing, are not to be used interchangeably, and are not both terms one can safely use when describing one's hormonal wife.
The midwives and obstretrician, meanwhile, tell me I'm exactly the right size and everything is on track for a healthy baby and 'smooth' birth, whatever that means.

We went to our first antenatal class last night. (I noticed that all bar one of the women there were my size or larger.) The class was great - the other couples seemed lovely, and it was all very friendly. I'm really looking forward to next week's class, not least because the guys will be taught how to massage us!

Labels: ,

8 Comments:

Blogger earthkissed said...

You should post a tummy profile photo for us all to see so we can make inappropriate comments!!! I've opted out of antenatal classes, I can get Matt to practice the massaging at home:) The midwife who talked to me on the phone to do my "booking in" chat seemed very disapproving that I wasn't going to do antenatal classes... Her buttons were very easy to push, it was terribly fun. I just kept saying how I'd just have whatever pain relief worked the best and that I didn't want someone to teach me what taking a baby home was all about because that was far more reality then I was willing to face.. I suspect my file has a black dot on it..

2:26 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Actually, taking a baby home really wasn't what was covered in our antenatal classes. I walked in to them being more worried about post hospital time than the birth and left feeling about the same. However, I did find the breastfeeding classes a waste of time.

5:38 am  
Blogger Margie said...

So far I've been really pleased with our classes. I'm opting out of the NHS ones, but the NCT classes seemed like a good way to meet other new mums-to-be in our area and build up a support network for afterwards. Also, how's a girl gonna be a lady what lunches without other ladies to lunch with? Conveniently, one of the couples lives just around the corner from my very favourite cheese shop.

Bec, I'm amazed at reports of rifts between doctors and midwives. I can't see where they might come from ;P

12:18 pm  
Blogger earthkissed said...

Margie, they've earnt it all. My very first day on the antenatal ward, they were lying to me about what I was supposed to do, hiding patients from me, and generally making my life more difficult. Eventually I won the majority of them over, but it took many makings of cups of tea and just ignoring the evilness that having doctor in front of my name seemed to incur! So I don't feel terribly guilty about messing with the one over the phone! Have you popped yet???

4:43 am  
Blogger Margie said...

Well, we're about to offend midwife and doctor alike by having a doula there :)

I haven't popped yet. 6 weeks to go and counting! On the one hand early hints at smaller, which sounds good. On the other Vaughn had a shoulder reconstruction last week and will be in a sling until a few days before I'm due, so it may be I should be hoping for late.

12:30 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

People only comment on belly size in proportion to the rest of you. You're such a petite little person that any properly sized baby belly will look impressively round.

I second the motion that you need to put a belly picture somewhere for us to gawk at though.

:)

2:21 pm  
Blogger Margie said...

Aww! You know all the right things to say! :) Impressively round I certainly am. My tum feels like it's about to burst and I'm disappointed to say the stretch marks are taking over.

8:38 pm  
Blogger earthkissed said...

I hear congratulations are in order. Hope you are doing well, can't wait to see photos.

8:40 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home