Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Surprisingly yummy soup

I looked in the mirror today and realised that if I keep taking advantage of the subsidised restaurant at work in the way that I have been for the last few weeks I'll be the size of a house in no time. So I made myself a promise: I won't have pudding every day. And maybe I'll stick to the soup for a while. But the rest is just so yummy. Today I had seared tuna steak with avocado salsa for mains and vanilla panna cotta for pudding. Yum.

But the thing that prompted this post is this: every now and then the restaurant has a special guest or event and last week it was fruit soup by the head chef. There were two different kinds - peach and strawberry. One of my favourite things about the UK so far has been the berries (actually, the food generally, as surprising as that sounds) so I opted for the strawberry soup, but I also had a taster of the peach soup. They were both unimaginably delicious, though obviously I think you should all try. The berry one had lots of fresh berries in with the soup, and it was the most amazing colour. Well, berry coloured, really. And the peach one had champagne and spices and cream and it wasn't as pretty but it was very, very yum.

And best of all, the kind man gave me his recipe! I won't post it here, but if you're interested I can email it to you.

3 Comments:

Blogger earthkissed said...

Of course we're interested in the recipe after that description!!!! Please do email it to Matt or I. And if you are emailing recipes, I still don't think I have your delicious mulled wine (or however you spell it) recipe... is it possible to get that too?

1:19 am  
Blogger siobhan said...

With the abundance of cheap stone fruit here at the moment (Waitrose was selling a tub (8 or 9) of peaches for £1.50), we've been poaching them in white wine. Delicious.

4:37 pm  
Blogger earthkissed said...

Have emailed your address:) It's pretty rude that they took away your internet!

I love poaching peaches. We do this thing where we poach them in a sugar and vanilla syrup then serve them with a splash of a botrytis riesling poured over them. Yumm.

8:41 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home