Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Trees

Most days I ride in to work, braving the traffic and trying to ignore the fumes I'm sure are leaving a hefty coating of nastiness on my lungs. But today I caught the bus, and found myself, as I always do, wondering at the beauty of London (it's much more beautiful on the second level of a bus than it is on a bike). I work on Fleet St, in the heart of the traditional legal and printing district, and am spoilt for beautiful surroundings, with the Royal Courts of Justice and Kings College London being very close. But the thing I noticed today is the trees. London has beautiful trees. Old and magnificent trees; young, determined trees. And none of them has that feature that so distiguishes Australian metropolitan trees - the V carved out of the middle of them to allow the possum highway to pass through. I don't know what they do here with power lines, I assume they're all underground, but it makes for much prettier streetscapes.

1 Comments:

Blogger earthkissed said...

Matt and I were just commenting the other day that it seemed silly that all these beautiful trees in Melbourne were all carved up to allow the powerlines through!

7:14 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home