Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Food, glorious food

Whenever I get a new cookbook (you'll be amazed to hear that's temporarily a thing of the past since we're in Super Saving Mode), I aim to try, if not all, at least a couple of handfuls of recipes from it. Usually, I fail miserably and stick to the two or three that really catch my eye. But I'm pleased to say I've been happily trying recipe after recipe after recipe in The Perfect Scoop, all of them wonderful. I'm hard pressed, even, to say which one I like best. I adore the honey and lavender ice cream, the vanilla is beautiful, the dark chocolate sorbet divine, the fresh fruit ice creams delicious, and the blood orange sorbet was a staple for the few weeks they were in season and available at the Borough Markets. Most recently, though, I've been using the chocolate ice cream recipe, using whatever chocolate I happened to have around. I made a choc orange ice cream last night, using Valrhona cocoa, Terry's chocolate orange and a few drops of orange oil. I'm pretty sure my father-in-law went back for thirds. I'm now longing to try David's salted butter caramel ice cream. I think it will follow nicely from one of my favourite meals:

Pan-fried Scallops with Sweet Potato Mash
Roast, mash and plate a small sweet potato, adding butter and S&P to taste.
Slice 4-6 scallops in half so the discs are less thick. With a small amount of butter in the pan, fry for about 30 seconds each, until just cooked. Place next to the mash and top with a sprinkling of vanilla salt. Serve with a small side salad.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger earthkissed said...

It sounds good. With the sorbets, we have made a similar blood orange sorbet, but ours had a stick of rosemary in it as well (which you obviously remove). Added just a subtle nice twist of flavour to it.

1:46 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Actually, I am just about to head home and try to make the salted butter caramel ice cream from the recipe on David Lebovitz blog. I have wanted to try come caramel since discovering his "How to make the perfect caramel" about 2 weeks ago...
My most recent cookbook, of sorts, is Michael Ruhlman's "The Elements of Cooking". I have yet to try the one recipe in it, brown veal stock. Maybe that will be on the list this weekend as well.

Cecil

8:48 am  
Blogger Margie said...

I'm so looking forward to having a larger freezer and being able to have more than one kind of ice cream at any one point.

9:23 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home