Sunday, August 13, 2006

My political beliefs embodied in a very tall man with dreadlocks

Those of you who know me well might well be surprised I haven't used this blog as a soap box to vent my political views. I've tried very hard not to. And I'm going to continue to try very hard not to, right after I say this.

Over the last decade that man has done many things I've wholeheartedly disagreed with. He has an uncanny ability to make the unthinkable sound reasonable. He has time and time again introduced and had passed legislation I find morally repugnant and the support he has found to do so surprises and disappoints me. I've been following closely the debate about the current immigration bill and was overjoyed to see some members voting with their conscience and devastated to see that the bill was passed on to the Senate. It is due to be voted on in the next couple of days. I wonder whether events like this will occur to people as they vote at the next election; whether we will return to a system that believes in debate, conscience and accountability and not in absolute power.

I have to believe we elect politicians who embody our beliefs. I have to believe as a nation we are better than this.

In the midst of this we went to see Xavier Rudd and Michael Franti and Spearhead last night. It was amazing. The beauty and 'personalness' of Xavier Rudd's music and the strength and 'empoweringness' of Michael Franti's. He stood 6 foot something on stage with very long dreadlocks and said he believed we should exhaust every possible means of dialogue and diplomacy before we even consider brute force. Power to the peaceful; love to the hateful. And the crowd went wild.

My beliefs are embodied in a man with very long dreadlocks.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, Margie, you'll be pleased to know that His Howardship has just withdrawn the Bill from Parliament, rather than face it being voted down in the Senate. I'm pleased to say that my local MP, a dark blue Liberal, crossed the floor. No wonder Mr H is worried about the cost of PetroL - I mean Petro!

Elizabeth

6:31 am  
Blogger Margie said...

That's brilliant news! I've been cheering on Mr Georgiou for a while now. It's great to see he's finally got some company :) Three cheers for your guy too! I hope the three of them get enough encouragement that they make it a trend...

8:15 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My guy is Mr Georgiou ...

5:50 am  
Blogger earthkissed said...

I can't believe the crap laws that they've passed under Mr Howard and I am very glad that this one didn't make it through!

7:12 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tell me about it! I'm so happy this hasn't got up (and very pleased with the gutsiness of some Libs - what's the bet they face preselection troubles?).... I'm just fairly sure some other slightly altered form of this will be attempted sooner or later...

Hope you're well - less than a week till I leave for the US!

In Sydney at the mo - big hailstorm this afternoon, but lovely rainbow over the harbour afterwards.

See ya
Jen xx

8:43 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Should have heard the cheers in the AMEP staffroom as word spread about the defeat, sorry withdrawal! Let's hope there are more of the same, at election time too!

3:03 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Are you sure i'm not the tall man with dreadlocks who you find you share your opinions with?

I'm glad to hear that you and Vaughnie have both found work and are seem to be settling down well.

Love, your brother in law and original caveman,

Munro.

p.s. for the record, Franti stands 6 ft 6 above sea level.

5:16 am  
Blogger Margie said...

Wherever he is? That's very impressive! What happens when he goes swimming?

We're still waiting to see proof of these alleged dreadlocks of yours, hopefully in the form of photos from your travels. And even though he's not here, I can hear Vaughn saying 'and don't forget my fisherman's pants!'.

3:51 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home