Wednesday, November 22, 2006

We got it!

As of Saturday, we'll officially be Southsiders. We're moving into a brand new (!!) 1 bedroom flat (yes, our very own place!) in Deptford High Street. It's nice and light and clean and did I mention new, it has a gas stove and oven, a very large living area (by London standards), real wood floors, and a heated towel rail. It also has a fridge/freezer the size of a large book, a tiny bedroom and next to no storage.

We'd heard mixed reports about Deptford before we started house hunting - some people very positive, some less so. It's quite close to town and sits in between two very nice areas, Canada Water and Greenwich. Deptford itself is now touted as 'up and coming'. Picture Fortitude Valley ten years ago and you're not too far off: it's a bit dirty with lots of good features, not least of which is the proximity to town and the Docklands, where I'll be working as of Monday. Oh yes, it's been a week of change. The move will shave off around 40 minutes from Vaughn's commute on the days he's working Way The Hell East Side (also known as Barking), and I'm hoping the extra 20 minutes ride to work for me will make me super trim and fit (not just lazy and bus-catching).

In the meantime, my nestiness has stepped up a notch. I'm Ikea-ing, Argos-ing and eBay-ing fit to bust. There's furniture and saucepans and glasses and cushions and, well, almost everything to be bought. And once we move in I'll be able to start up a mini garden, with herbs and flowers in pots. And bonsai, of course. It'll be great.

Now to find that winning lotto ticket...

6 Comments:

Blogger earthkissed said...

Congratulations:) Enjoy the shopping.. We sort of got a new place today - we bought a new tent:)

10:42 am  
Blogger Margie said...

That's very exciting! We bought one a few months ago when it looked like we wouldn't be able to get a hotel in Oxford, and sadly haven't used it yet. I'm hoping, though, that the gorgeous warm weather we've been hvaing will continue and we can fit in another long ride - I'd love to ride around Cornwall or the Costwolds!

When do you move back up to Bris?

3:53 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

woot!! congratulations! I am composing an email reply for you by the way, it's just taking much longer than I'd imagined - you'll have fun reading it when I finally hit 'send' - have tea ready.
:)

11:29 am  
Blogger Piratical said...

Hey Margie, are you guys after furniture ? I've got some great stuff costing me a fortune in storage, I'm mainly thinking expensive sofas and sofa bed. They are out near Gatwick and at some point I need to move them somewhere cheaper to store. If you're interested,

Save you buying them and me wondering where to put them on a pirate boat...

I've two 2 seat sofas, one with a comfy sofa bed, either the same as or very similar to this Fenton, in a "coral" country chenille
http://www.marksandspencer.com/IWCatSectionView.process?Section_Id=9032&RestartFlow=t&mnsCallingTemplate=sectionTemplate
Ideal for Christmas.

There are also a 2 and 3 seater in chocolate brown leather.

5:57 pm  
Blogger Margie said...

Thanks, Piratical, but we've got plenty of furniture. In fact, way more than we wanted. We had negotiated with the landlord about what furniture he would provide, and bought the rest in the week before the move. When we arrived at the flat we found it just crambed full of furniture we didn't want and nowhere to put our stuff! Needless to say we are in 'negotiations' about this. Amongst other things. Useless rental agency.

I hope you find somewhere suitably piraty for your stuff :) When do you set sail?

2:07 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

He set sail today! (wednesday 29/11)

Nice one on the new flat. I'm kinda glad you didn't need the red sofas--I'm a bit sentimentally attached to them :-)

Now I just need a flat....oh dear. Might deal with the jet-lag before I start on that. Not long to go now!

12:20 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home