Friday, December 01, 2006

Happy Friday!

It's the end of my first week at my new job, and almost a week since we moved in to our new flat, and I'm exhausted. It's been a week of hiccoughs and uncertainties on all fronts, which, I'm pleased to say, now look to be subsiding.

The clinically neutral, mostly veneer furniture which we had been promised would not be in our unit and which actually was in our unit when we arrived, has now been taken away. And the furniture we bought for the place is now in the place. For the last 5 days our new neighbours, Sam and Sean have been kindly housing the beautiful Jarrah bookcase we couldn't fit up the stairs. (Or at least the bits of it that made it that far. We've got some repair work to do. ) Yesterday, the builder, who was around anyway, kindly offered to move it for us. I wasn't there to see it, but I imagine it was very impressive - he and his assistant lifting it from the balcony beneath us, up to our place.

And speaking of our new neighbours, I think we've hit the jackpot. Sam works for a food company and has been showering us with chocolate. I must have done something right in a previous life - the gods are clearly smiling on me!

I'm looking forward to having a day at home tomorrow, sorting out the last of the boxes, putting together our furniture and arranging things to our liking. I'm also looking forward to spending a couple of hours in the kitchen preparing for our housewarming on Sunday. Our last place had quite a nice kitchen, but somehow it just feels different having my own - one one else's mess around, ingredients where I can reach them (this is an ongoing problem - in our last place I needed a stand on a chair to get to most of our food. Here I can reach the food because I've put it in the cupboard meant for saucepans, but I struggle to reach most other things. I thought about getting a step ladder, but then remembered I have a husband :) ) and the incentive of a party. It's been years since I've had my own place, to throw parties in whenever I like. I'm hoping this will be a return to the days of McIlwraith Ave, where we had regular parties for no good reason - the washing machine warming party, is one that springs to mind.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home