Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Our new place

Hi to anyone reading this.

I know I haven't been the most prolific blogger of late, but Margie's been doing such a bang up job of it that I haven't really felt as though the story of my life hasn't been getting out there for any interested people to read about.

So what do I have to add that Margie hasn't said already? We've moved into a great new flat. It has almost no storage room, and a bedroom the size of a shoebox, but its a great space overall and we're both now happy with where all the big stuff and decorations go. Since we were able to arrange and decorate our house with almost no disagreement whatsoever, we are following the next logical step and driving each other crazy with an ongoing war about where the various cleaning products should be stored.

The flat is pretty convenient, ie. it takes no more than an hour to the places we normally go. It's on a main street which holds a market 3 times a week. While this will probably be convenient for shopping for things like fresh fish, meat, vegetables, cheap terrible clothes and broken electical appliances, it certainly wasn't convenient on the day we were moving.

Knowing nothing about the market we arrived in a van we were hiring by the minute only to find out we had no access to our street. So we parked on an adjacent street, emptied all our stuff out of the van and began doing a relay race between all our worldly possessions and our new place. Of course, as soon as we got all the stuff out of the van it started to pour down with rain.

Being an optimist I see it as a reminder not to get too attached to your material possessions. I imagine a lot of other people might have seen it as incredibly bad luck. That said although everything got pretty wet, nothing seemed to suffer much damage, and it was all pretty funny, if a bit frantic at the time.

Having a bedroom overlooking the market is kind of interesting too, although living almost right next to a fishmonger does result in an interesting smell sometimes, and the market store holders aren't exactly the quietest people in the world when they are setting up in the morning. Also, as we discovered on the weekend the area isn't totally free of crazies, but no where really is. It's just unfortunate that red hair seems to be the strongest Crazy magnet known to mankind. There's nothing like having some Crazy take issue with you when you've done nothing more than step outside of your apartment onto the street. Of course my old 1-2-1-2 combo followed by my patented jumping double spin kick made short work of that unfortunate fellow. (NB one of the sentences in this paragraph is not true)

As Margie has mentioned we're going to Berlin tomorrow. More blogs and photos will no doubt follow shortly.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good to hear from you, even though my dear daughter does an admittedly fabulous job of keeping us all up to date - pity that we don't get round to reading as often, but that's the end of the year for you. Livign over a market is fun - I had one in my first flat in Kiel, and never ate so much fresh fruit/vegies until I cld grow them myself.

1:16 am  
Blogger earthkissed said...

I thought Margie being attracted to you was pretty good proof of the crazy-magnet:) Just kidding!!! Oh dear, I'm going to be in trouble, but it was such an easy shot...

3:26 am  
Blogger Margie said...

That's fair. Frankly, I'm amazed the comment hasn't been made before (in my presence).

1:49 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home